How to Eat a Balanced Vegan Diet
Whether you are a vegan and need a reminder or you wish to be a vegan and want to learn more, here are some simple ways to make sure you eat a balanced diet and get all the vitamins you need.
- People always assume that vegans lack protein and iron because they don’t eat meat or dairy. The truth is you can get these from many different foods such as leafy greens, beans, tofu and quinoa.
- Research food combinations. Protein needs building blocks like amino acids which can be found in soy, to be absorbed properly, vegan or not. Rice and beans is a good example of combining food to absorb protein.
- Always eat whole foods. This means foods that are not processed but in their most whole form. Choose oatmeal over cereal, brown rice instead of white rice or whole wheat bread instead of white bread. As a general rule, avoid anything that comes in a box.
- A balanced meal would consist of a whole grain, a leafy green vegetable and a protein. This way you are sure to get all the necessary nutrients. A good example may be steamed broccoli on brown rice with tahini sauce.
- The most challenging aspect of eating well as a vegan is going out to a restaurant, especially if you don’t live in a city with vegetarian dining options. If you know you are going to a steakhouse, eat at home and order a garden salad. Beware of hidden animal products. For example, sometimes Mexican restaurants cook their beans in fat. Don’t be afraid to ask the waitress.